A Facebook page showing videos of South Australian school students beating each other up has been pulled down.
The “Adelaide Box Ons” page featured violent fights, with at least one student left unconscious.
The Education Department and police are trying to track down the boys and girls in the videos.
Susan Cameron, the department’s director of review, improvement and accountability, said it was uncertain how many schools had been involved in the fight clubs, which also involved girls.
“We are very confident that the schools have the policies in place to actually deal with the matters as they emerge,” the former high school principal told Radio 5AA on Tuesday.
She said she was surprised the reported initial reaction from Facebook was that the videos did not breach community standards.
The department contacted the site to ask for the page’s removal because they wanted to discourage fights becoming a spectacle or entertainment.
Ms Cameron said she was shocked to see vision of two young girls involved in a fight at a shopping centre.
She believed the principals of the schools would take firm action.
“Some of them already have. Kids will be suspended, some kids will be excluded.
“If parents are worried that their young person has been a victim of one of these attacks I would really strongly urge that they go to the police as well.”
She referred to the increase of bullying and other inappropriate acts by young people being played out in the digital world because they haven’t quite learnt yet how to make sensible choices.
“The danger is those acts will be public and online for a very long time.”